THE HENRY M. JACKSON FOUNDATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF MILITARY MEDICINE
Position No: FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: EEO Category/Job Group:
JOB SUMMARY We are seeking a Data Scientist to join the Austere environments Consortium for Enhanced Sepsis Outcomes (ACESO). ACESO aims to identify host-based markers capable of accurately diagnosing and prognosing patients with severe infections in austere settings and transitioning those markers to point-of-care assay platforms. The Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing complex data and developing insights through the use of statistical models, data mining, and data visualization techniques.
This position is based at The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF) in Bethesda, Maryland, although alternate arrangements will be considered. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services for the worldwide ACESO program.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: 95% of time
1. Analyzes complex datasets including RNA sequence data, proteomic, phosphoproteomic, and metabolomics data. Applies advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques and data visualization approaches. Develops innovative approaches to answer research questions.
2. Integrates and prepares large datasets, develops specialized database and computing environments as needed.
3. Provides subject matter expertise as needed, including recommendations on data collection and integration.
4. Communicates results on a regular basis with the science team and key stakeholders, and prepares presentations and reports as needed.
5. Performs other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience with complex datasets
Proficiency in statistical analysis, forcasting/predictive analytics, and algorithm optimization.
Experience with data mining/pattern recognition approaches; experience with topological data analysis preferred
Strong programming skills
Able to develop solutions to loosely defined problems
Able to communicate effectively
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field. At least 2 years relevant experience.
Physical Capabilities: Extended periods of sitting
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: n/a
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May provide guidance to junior analysts
Work Environment: Office or laboratory environment
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources